Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Jade Display Glass (W.E. 25)


Exercise 25:
Another time. Choose a date somewhere far in the future or past, and have pretend that you are in that time and describe a complete day. Tell what you eat, what you read in the newspaper, where you work or go to school and what changes you've seen in their lifetimes. Suggested by Asher.

Jade Display Glass
June 6,  2121
I wake up to the usual sound of Jade speaking to me.  Her animated voice has become a normal wakeup call, and not an unpleasant one at that.  She’s the voice within my technology glass displays that exist throughout my house.
I stretch under my sheets before I throw my feet over the edge and descend from my safety net.  My body still feels very worn out, and having had only 6 hours of sleep, as per usual, I find I’m not as ready for the day as I wished I could be.
I walk to my bathroom and the displays light up within the darkness of my home.  They read 6:05AM.
“Jade, what’s the news for today?”  I ask and the displays light up with a list of news from murders to earthquakes.  “Jade, show today’s weather.”  Upon the display screen shows rain outside of my home, the water drops dribbling down the side of my orange sports car made by a company called Ziolite, the same makers of my technology glass throughout my home.  As one might guess, there is also technology glass within my vehicle, where Jade also resides.
I brush my teeth, and then walk toward the kitchen, where the counter top lights up.  I sigh, unsure of what to eat this morning.  “Jade, what should I have for breakfast?”  The countertop displays a menu from French toast to extravagant omelets; all options display only that which I can make with the necessities within my own fridge. 
I decide on the omelet, reaching my hand out to it, and once my hand touches it a display shows the ingredients, which I go to my fridge to collect.  I then open my drawer for a knife which I use to proceed to cut up the ingredients.   I reach my hand out to the stove display and put it to the temperature the recipe provides, and set the frying pan upon its round heating surface.   I add the ingredients as the recipe says.
Finally I sit down at my glass display table, and begin to eat my omelet as I look over the days routine, noticing no differences in my daily routine, I sigh at how boring and dull my life has become.
“Jade, show me my life 10 years ago.”
“Access Denied.  Data does not exist.”  Responded Jade.
“Why did I think the future would be better than this?”  I sighed to myself.
I took a shower and headed to work in my orange sports Ziolite.
I walked through the sliding glass doors of my office building.  I was the owner of a company called Highlights that’s main goal was to create realistic holographic displays of everything known to mankind, now or ever.  We focused on bringing back to life that which had been destroyed.
In 2012, the world nearly collapsed with the pole shift brought on by the planet Nibiru.  New York had been destroyed, as well as Washington DC, the Pentagon, and the Whitehouse.  Those weren’t the only places that took damage, even places like the Eiffel tower, and stone henge had ceased to exist after the rupturing of the Earth subsided.
My company was funded by Ziolite, and therefore the entire building had technology glass.  Every cubicle had technology glass for computer screens instead of monitors.
I went into my office and sat down at my desk. I leaned back in my chair, and stared up at the technology glass ceiling. “Jade, show me the office starting on the first floor and ending on the 13th floor.”
The display glass provided me easy access to surveillance of the office, and I found it quite handy at times.  “Jade, zoom in on Malcom and Jenny and provide me sound access.”
“She’s up in her office doing nothing but sitting there. I’d kill to have a job like that. Did you see her when she came in this morning?  She looked like total shit…” Jenny stated.
“Maybe she just had a rough night.”  Malcom defended.
“Would it kill her to at least say hi to us?  I mean, what the hell.  It’s like she doesn’t even acknowledge our existence.  I think she’s a total bitch, thinking she’s better than all of us.”  Jenny snidely continued.
“Jade, give me access to…”  I started about to request that Jenny make her way to my office, then I decided to let it go.  “Never mind, Jade, continue on.”
Nothing interesting happened, and I found myself quite bored.  “Jade, don’t let anyone disturb me. I’d like a nap, wake me up in about 30 minutes.”
With that I fell off into a deep sleep…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note:
I am quite aware this is unfinished.  I hope you enjoyed reading thus far anyways. I have things I need to do, and a morning of dread to wake up to.  I hope you've been trying out some of these exercises yourself, and haven't found yourself to bored with them. Leave me comments, I'd like to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment