Friday, April 6, 2012

Doctors Office (W.E. 04)

For those of you who don't know, this is a blog about writing exercises. These exercises I've found around the web and may possibly come up with on the spot. This is just for fun and to get me into the habit of writing frequently. I hope you will join me on this journey of writing. I will be posting every Tuesday and Friday as long as I have steam to do so.

Exercise 04
You are in a waiting room (doctor's office, job interview, etc.). People are sitting more or less in a circle. Describe several of them -- focusing only on their feet! Type of shoes, cleanliness and condition of shoes, toes if they show, how they let their feet rest. Are they quiet or do the feet move? What can you tell about the person from the feet?

Doctors Office
                We all sat in a circle. We were all there for possibly different reasons. I heard some coughing, but I was too shy to look up from the floor. The one thing I spent most of my time doing was staring at people’s feet.
Next to me on my left sat a little boy. This is just an assumption because of the shoes he was wearing and the size of his feet. Though, I myself can’t deny having wanted my own pair of spider-man shoes regardless of gender stereotypes. His feet were dangling from his slender yet pudgy legs, and his feet couldn’t reach the floor. His left shoelace was untied. The lace lay on the floor about a half an inch folded over. His shoes were covered in dirt like he’d been running through the mud and it had dried out like the cracks of a dried up creek bed. Even underneath his feet I could see small dirt clumps that had fallen to the floor. The laces of his right shoe looked torn as if he’d been running and caught it in a fence wire and tugged too hard to get it free. About a half an inch, up from the bottom of his shoes were clear sections. When he kicked his feet together they lit up with red LED’s. He made more dirt fall from his shoes every time his feet met. He was clearly doing it on purpose to entertain himself.
Next to him, on his own left was his mother. I was only assuming again because of the pink and white vans sneakers she wore.  Her shoe type clearly marked her age range. She was a young mother with a young child. Her shoes were tied neatly with white laces. They looked relatively clean despite what looked to be a permanent marker stain in the shape of a pigs curled tail. It looked as if she’d tried to wash it off but hardly managed. I could imagine her being angry with him. It made me sad to think of him being yelled at for his unknowingly bad deed. “Stop it,” She said to him, to interrupt his fun of messing the floor with dirt. Her feet weren’t flat on the ground, but slanted from the toe upward toward the heels that rested on the legs of the chair she was sitting in.  She coughed. I now knew where the previous cough originated.
On the young mother’s left sat what I can only assume was an older man. His pants didn’t reach his shoes. I could clearly see his gray socks with black filled in diamonds and outlined diamonds in black. It was a repeating pattern around his ankles. He wore black leather penny loafers, minus the penny. His feet were flat on the floor. He was not in the least bit fidgety. He seemed very relaxed.
On his left sat his wife or so I assume. She wore tan Birkenstock’s with white socks. Her socks seemed slightly yellowed from the normal white. They weren’t at all grimey. Her feet were pointed just slightly inward, and every now and then she’d pull her feet back and readjust. Occasionally she’d slip her feet partway out of her shoes, and leave just her toes touching the middle section right behind the second strip of leather that normally secured her feet in place as she wore them. She seemed nervous and bored. I don’t think she liked doctor’s visits very much. I wasn’t sure if the appointment was for her or for him.
A male nurse came out, and I could only see his green scrub pants and what appeared to be running sneakers. They had a small bloodstain on the front upper end near the tongue. I wondered where the blood came from.
One by one the room began to clear until it was only I. My eyes kept to the floor.  We went into a room, the tile looked clean, but I wouldn’t have trusted it enough to eat off it. I hate doctor’s offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment